A travel-ready, digitally-integrated field camera that brings landscape photography to a whole new level.
Today Phase One released a game changing camera body, the Phase One XT. The XT seeks to bridge the gap between modern day medium format digital backs like the IQ4 with the astounding sharpness and flexibility of a technical camera. Special attention should be paid to the incorporated shutter of the XT’s lenses, as this shutter is a direct and elegant solution to the dwindling supply of Copal shutters found on most technical camera lenses. Instead of completely relying on the electronic shutter found in the IQ4 or a cumbersome eShutter solution, the XT boasts an electromagnetic shutter built into each lens. Also of note is the ability to register the amount of shift, rise, and fall via metadata in each RAW file, perfect for applying LCCs.
We are extremely excited about this release, and are eager to see this elegant imaging solution out in the field.
From Phase One:
COPENHAGEN, Sept. 10, 2019 – Phase One has announced the XT Camera System, opening new frontiers of quality for landscape photography. Designed for convenience and engineered for precision, the XT packs a full-frame medium format camera of the highest quality into a travel-friendly design. By pairing the power and performance of Phase One’s IQ4 Infinity Platform with Rodenstock’s renowned optics, the XT is the most compact digitally integrated field camera to date.
The XT Camera System perfectly marries extraordinary image quality and extraordinary photographic technology. It’s versatile, flexible, and remarkably intuitive to use. With components that communicate digitally with each other and the system’s compact size, the XT is crafted for effortless capture, so the photographer can focus on capturing the moment, not on camera settings.
“The XT Camera System is designed to elevate both your creativity and image quality by providing the best possible components, in the smallest possible package with intuitive controls, all of which allows you to focus on the moment.” – Drew Altdoerffer, Product Manager at Phase One
“I love the XT. The combination of the Phase One IQ4, a compact camera body, and an incredible lens is just what I need. I can easily fit the camera with two lenses in my small shoulder bag, and still barely feel like I am carrying anything.” – Reuben Wu, fine art landscape photographer
Phase One’s ability to embrace heritage while not weighed down by it makes the blend of sensible Danish design, advanced technology integration, and precision mechanics the natural foundation for this next step in landscape photography. The system will evolve over time with the release of additional lenses, expanding Infinity Platform features, dedicated accessories, and discipline-focused workflows.
Components – Technology in a class of its own
The XT Camera System integrates components of the highest quality:
- The Phase One IQ4 150MP, IQ4 150MP Achromatic, or IQ4 100MP Trichromatic, built on the Infinity Platform — designed to innovate and support evolving technology.
- The XT Camera Body built exclusively for the Phase One IQ4. It features intuitive ergonomics and straightforward controls, including the dual action shutter button, which is designed to support future expansion and customization.
- Three lenses manufactured by Phase One’s strategic partner Rodenstock. All lenses are fitted with Phase One’s new, digitally integrated, X-Shutter –an intelligently controlled electromagnetic shutter — born from Phase One’s industrial applications experience:
- The XT – Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 23mm f/5.6 is the highest quality super wide lens available.
- The XT – Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 32mm f/4 is an exceptional quality wide- angle lens with a large image circle and almost no distortion.
- The XT – Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 70mm f/5.6 is a normal focal length lens with impeccable image quality and a large image circle.
- The XT Camera System takes full advantage of Rodenstock lenses with 24mm of shift on both the X and Y axis. The shift movement allows the photographer to correct perspective distortion. It can also be used to create panoramic/stitched images at tremendous scale/resolution. The XT Camera Body intelligently integrates the shift position in the image file for later reference.
Full digital integration
The XT Camera System is the first of its kind–a fully integrated digital field camera supporting medium and large format optics. It seamlessly integrates shutter controls without the need for external power, accessories or cables.Comprised of an IQ4, XT Camera Body, X-Shutter, and XT-Rodenstock lens, the camera system places complete control at your fingertips and enables an effortless capture workflow.
Integrated exposure control
Compose, focus and shoot – it’s that simple. With the full digital integration of the XT Camera System, shutter and aperture controls are integrated into the IQ4 touch screen to allow for seamless and intuitive operation with 100% accurate results. Beyond the essential communication of the components, the XT Camera Body incorporates a simple and straightforward dual-action shutter button, all of which elevate the field camera ideals to the 21st century.
Known for their great resolving power and contrast even at large apertures, the optical design of Rodenstock HR lenses reduces diffraction and color noise, even at the pixel density of the IQ4 150MP, providing further flexibility to the full frame medium format sensor.
- The XT – Rodenstock HR 23mm f/5.6 is simply the best super wide medium format lens on the market.
- The XT – Rodenstock HR 32mm f/4 is a high-quality wide-angle lens with a large image circle and almost no distortion, suitable for significant X and Y shift.
- The XT – Rodenstock HR 70mm f/5.6 is a normal focal length lens with impeccable image quality and a large image circle.With Rodenstock as a strategic partner, the introduction of these exclusive, digitally integrated lenses is only the beginning of the XT Camera System lens range.
151 million pixels
The XT Camera System elevates the highest resolution full frame medium format sensor available, ensuring that each RAW image takes full control of the astounding quality and detail provided by the Rodenstock optics. The flexibility afforded by such image resolution opens new possibilities in print, as well as providing the flexibility and convenience to crop and scale images to previously unimaginable levels.
At the heart of the XT – Rodenstock HR lenses is the X-Shutter. The X-Shutter is an intelligently integrated and electronically controlled shutter, born out of Phase One’s industrial applications and experience. The X-Shutter is purpose-built for the XT Camera System to allow for finer control in a smaller form factor. Powered by the IQ4, the X-Shutter shares in the ambition of the Infinity Platform for future growth and flexibility.
The XT Camera System takes full advantage of the Rodenstock optics with 24mm of shift on both X and Y axes. These movements allow you to correct for perspective distortion or create panoramic and stitched images quickly and precisely. The shift position of the camera is integrated into the image file, providing immediate feedback for later use.
Additionally, the design of the XT allows you to quickly rotate the camera between portrait and landscape orientation, while remaining securely mounted to a tripod via an integrated Arca Swiss-type mount, further expanding the integrated workflow.
IQ4 Infinity Platform
At the core of the XT Camera System is the IQ4, built on the powerful and flexible Infinity Platform. The Infinity Platform dynamically expands and adapts to market demands and technological changes. It provides you with a steady stream of new features, functions, compatibility and improved usability. The Infinity Platform enables the same IQ4 to seamlessly switch between the professional power and functionality of XF, to the elegance and simplicity of the XT.
Capture One Inside
We integrated the cutting-edge RAW editing core of Capture One software directly into your camera to reflect your personal aesthetic in the RAW file itself. Thanks to the ample processing power of the IQ4, with Capture One Inside you get greater control over your RAW capture when you are away from your computer and immersed in your subject.
The XT Camera System is built using only the highest quality materials. Each aspect of the design and manufacturing, all the way down to the handcrafted ebony handgrip, focuses on quality and precision, ensuring an exclusive and enjoyable shooting experience.
Phase One Camera Systems are designed for modular flexibility. Use the IQ4 Digital Back with the XT Camera Body for an effortless, travel-friendly solution, or switch to the XF Camera Body for more automation, granular customization, and tools to make your workflow more dynamic. No matter what you choose, you’ll be impressed by the unsurpassed image quality that Phase One is known for.
Have questions? Want to know more about the XT? Get in touch.
631-935-3389 • email@example.com